[Oer-community] UNESCO and OER Foundation join hands in building capability in OER [Assets]

Wayne Mackintosh mackintosh.wayne at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:43:21 MST 2012

Hi Jane,

Yes, I think we're on the verge of an exciting watershed in higher
education. It is indeed possible to provide free learning opportunities for
all students worldwide based on OER.

That said, I think we need to think about the cultural and organisational
changes this might require, for example crossing the chasm from sharing to
LEARN --> learning to SHARE. (It's not hard to see the value of sharing
educational materials to support learning -- but my observation of the
academy is that we do not have culture and corresponding practice of
sharing. The world will be a better place when we start with the question:
What can I reuse? (rather than, what can I duplicate with my own creation).
 I suppose its human nature receiving is sometimes harder than giving ;-).

mmm -- I'm not sure that I would label the emerging economy as one
characterized by more "assets". In an economic sense, digital OER can be a
non-rivalrous commodity in the sense that it doesn't reduce through
consumption. That said, I work in the non-profit sector and not attuned to
cutting edge business models.

My wish for the post-secondary education sector is to see all courses at
all publicly institutions based solely on OER. Then we turn the future an
asset.

We should stop competing on content, but rather the quality of the services
we offer our learners. We have the opportunity to promote a global level of
connectedness to achieve the goal of free post-secondary education for all.

The mapping exercise can help educators and learners connect -- bring us
closer to achieving more sustainable education futures.

For sure -- these are exciting times.