[Oer-community] Mapping materials vs. mapping Initiatives

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 14:58:01 MST 2012

This is an important distinction raised in recent discussions. I would
like to do both.

Let me ask how participants would want to categorize the work I am
involved in. I hope that others involved in the complexities of OER
development and use will ask about their work, too, so that we can get
a better idea of what we are trying to fit together.

One Laptop Per Child, Sugar Labs, Squeakland, and FLOSS Manuals
provide computers, Free Software, and content under Free licenses
(Creative Commons and others) for schoolchildren in more than 40
countries and in more than 100 languages, along with many other
partner organizations. We also try to track resources from other
sources. See, for example,

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Deployments The first 2.5 million laptops.
Out of date.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ Showing progress by language

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Replacing_Textbooks Mostly a hope, but
there are a few things happening, mostly in math and computer
programming.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Open_Educational_Resources Links to a
variety of initiatives and repositories around the world.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ Published materials. Note links for
non-English works. Scroll down for OLPC/Sugar Labs

http://booki.flossmanuals.net/ Work in progress. Scroll down for
OLPC/Sugar Labs/Squeakland

How would all of this fit into your vision? Any suggestions on the work itself?

--
Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin