[Oer-community] On-line education is using a flawed Creative Commons license

rory rory at athabascau.ca
Fri Nov 30 09:53:34 MST 2012

Seth,
Not quite. The content can be licensed to one company for commercial
purposes, but it is still open for non-commercial use. I would see that
as another company could use the content freely, but could not sell it.
If the company is selling the teaching and credentialing, as long as
they don't close off the content and sell that then they are using it
non-commercially.
Rory

On 12-11-30 9:47 AM, Seth Woodworth wrote:
> When a private negotiation happens to work around a -NC license, we
> are no longer talking about content being remotely open.  That is a
> standard copyright licensing agreement where the resulting product is
> not CC licensed.
>
> I am a software developer and work in OER.  If I had to request
> commercial permission to use software in the course of my job, I would
> be slowed to a standstill running down permissions.
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:28 AM, Ilkka Tuomi
> <ilkka.tuomi at meaningprocessing.com
> <mailto:ilkka.tuomi at meaningprocessing.com>> wrote:
>
>     As has been pointed out in the discussion, CC-BY-NC allows
>     commerical players to negotiate a separate license. This is a
>     private agreement between the parties and can, for example,
>     contain terms that exclude other commercial actors from
>     negotiating similar agreements.

Rory McGreal
UNESCO/COL Chair in OER
Athabasca University