[Oer-community] Global Open Access Map - - resource for location coordinates

Caine, Abel a.caine at unesco.org
Wed Nov 21 21:21:37 MST 2012

Thanks Davide.

To the OER Community, note that the completely FOSS-based OpenStreetMap has the equivalent list of lat/long coordinates as the list from the UN.

Regards,
Abel

Sent from my iPhone

On 22 nov. 2012, at 00:07, "Storti, Davide" <d.storti at unesco.org<mailto:d.storti at unesco.org>> wrote:

Dear Abel,

1. The list exists and ... It's OSM itself which is also openly licensed. As a database, you can query it for all these coordinates and even for metadata information or relations.
Check for example taginfo: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/addr%3Acountry

2. There is no copyright on geographical coordinates, although this is not clear to everyone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Obtaining_geographic_coordinates

I think this should answer the concerns raised.
Davide