[Oer-community] Global Open Access Map - lessons for OER?

Tel Amiel tel.amiel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 05:08:29 MST 2012

hi all,

reflecting on wayne's point. i've managed to catch up to the discussion and I find myself wondering about our next steps. i know we're stlil in brainstorming phase and the many shared experiences have been enriching. I feel like we're moving from more simple propositions (mapping initiatives) and more complex proposals (concept mapping/connecting metadata and resources). these are very different proposals and will require substantially different resources to accomplish.

i feel like the simplest activity - mapping initiatives and projects in a collaborative manner is not redundant and still very necessary. it is my experience that we still know very little of what happens in many locations and do not have a place to go to to establish contacts and find out about projects and people.

a suggestion - could we not think of this as less of a map, and more of a data-base? in the sense that if we have the data we can then organize it in multiple ways:

- mapping the database (visualization)
- establishing a social network (collaboration)
- enhancing it with (any sort of) metadata (connection)
- allowing folks to collaboratively engage with the "platform"...

if people are willing to share this data according to some defined schema we define, and is OPEN (continuously), it can be used to create a mapping of the initiatives, but also many other things we or others might envision.

i have a feeling that this is sorely needed, mostly to help us "see" what initiatives exist in many locations around the world, in levels outside of higher education, especially in non-english languages.

cheers!

tel
www.educacaoaberta.org