[Oer-community] Global Open Access Map - lessons for OER?

Wayne Mackintosh mackintosh.wayne at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 00:53:03 MST 2012

Susan,

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Susan D'Antoni <susandantoni at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> One of the issues we need to consider is whether an OER map could be
> developed collaboratively and what might be an appropriate organization.

Of course collaborative development should be the cornerstone of open
education initiatives That said, I think the question of collaborative
development is predicated on a number of critical path questions, for
example:

   - Clarity and / or  rough consensus on the purpose of
   the mapping exercise. I'm not sure that we have consensus on what it is we
   are trying to achieve -- so its hard to say whether my organisation (or
   myself as individual) will be able to participate in collaborative
   development.   I'm more than willing to collaborate on something which adds
   value to the OER initiative - -but am not sure on what it is that we are
   going to collaborate on.
   - Will the visualisations be based on open standards, open APIs and open
   source software? I'm not sure that we've answered this question. If not,
   this would preclude a number of communities from participating. The
   examples shown to date are based on Google Maps -- which create challenges
   for participation for a number of communities. For instance, working for
   the OER Foundation I am not permitted to contribute to projects which do
   not meet the standards of free cultural works approved licenses as a matter
   of policy.
   - Are there any other critical path questions?

--
Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>