[Oer-community] Global Open Access Map - - resource for location coordinates

Virginia Cram-Martos Virginia.Cram-Martos at unece.org
Wed Nov 21 01:47:54 MST 2012

Dear Wayne,

I have had a number of discussions on this with UN legal and it is my
understanding that their logic is that they want the UN to maintain the
copyright in order to ensure that: i)  no one changes the data (for example
someone changing a country name and then distributing the list as the
"official" codelist); ii)  no one sells it (all UN outputs paid for by the
regular budget are free of charge); and iii) no one uses it for activities
the the UN would not want to be associated with(for example, in the cases
of coordinates, warfare).

If you have any suggestions for alternate formulations that would address
all of these concerns, I would be happy to launch inquiries with our legal
service about changing the IPR statement.

The data is free for use and in practice, as I mentioned in my original
message, is widely used by many governments and companies (it is also
referenced in at least one international transport convention).

Best regards,

Virginia

This message was sent to you by:
Ce message vous est envoyé par:
Este mensaje le ha sido enviado por:

Virginia Cram-Martos
Director
Trade and Sustainable Land Management Division
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
Palais des Nations, Rm 452
1211 Geneva 10

Telephone:  +41 22 917 2745
Fax :            +41 22 917 0037