[Oer-community] Global Open Access Map - - resource for location coordinates

Wayne Mackintosh mackintosh.wayne at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 01:27:02 MST 2012

Hi Virginia,

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Virginia Cram-Martos <
Virginia.Cram-Martos at unece.org> wrote:

> The website where you can find the codes (and their coordinates) organised
> by country and alphabetically within the country is:
> http://www.unece.org/cefact/locode/service/location.html - so no need for
> most of you to figure out how to get your GPS to give you the coordinates
> of where you are - you can just go to the web.

That's an amazing resource and I hope that the OER community can aquire
permissions to use the data.

While in many jurisdictions, it is not possible to assert copyright on
data, the UN site to which you refer has a very clear all rights reserved
copyright notice.

Quoting <http://www.unece.org/legal_notice/copyrightnotice.html> from the
site:

"Copyright (c) United Nations 2000-2008. All rights reserved. None of the
materials provided on this web site may be used, reproduced or transmitted,
in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical,
including photocopying, recording or the use of any information storage and
retrieval system, except as provided for in the Terms and Conditions of Use
of United Nations Web Sites, without permission in writing from the
publisher."

How can we legally use the resources on this site for open education
purposes? Would the UN consider changing the copyright license on this web
site? Who do we need to contact requesting permission to change the license
so we can use these resource for the benefit of OER?

Cheers
Wayne

--
Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.