[Oer-community] Global Open Access Map - - resource for location coordinates

Virginia Cram-Martos Virginia.Cram-Martos at unece.org
Wed Nov 21 01:10:37 MST 2012

Dear OER Colleagues,

My organization/division maintains an international standard called the,
"United Nations Code for Trade and Transport Locations (UN/LOCODE) which is
used by governments, postal services, shippers and transport companies
around the world. It includes over 60,000 codes for locations and the
definitions for the codes include the coordinates of the location (i.e. its
latitude and longitude). We verify these coordinates before the codes are
published (and users write to us if they find any mistakes), so the
coordinates for the codes have a pretty high degree of accuracy. The great
majority of the major cities, ports and airports in the world are included
(and if it is not there you can use our online facility to submit an
application for a location to be added).

The website where you can find the codes (and their coordinates) organised
by country and alphabetically within the country is:
http://www.unece.org/cefact/locode/service/location.html  - so no need for
most of you to figure out how to get your GPS to give you the coordinates
of where you are - you can just go to the web.

This work is done under the aegis of the intergovernmental body called the,
"United Nations Centre for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business
(UN/CEFACT)" ( website: http://www.unece.org/cefact.html ).

Best regards,

Virginia Cram-Martos

This message was sent to you by:
Ce message vous est envoyé par:
Este mensaje le ha sido enviado por:

Virginia Cram-Martos
Director
Trade and Sustainable Land Management Division
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
Palais des Nations, Rm 452
1211 Geneva 10