[Oer-community] OER mapping - Welcome and introduction to Week 1

Sandra Schön sandra.schoen at salzburgresearch.at
Mon Nov 12 13:06:19 MST 2012

Dear Susan and All,

>     1.   Would a world map to visualize the global OER landscape be
>     useful? (example below created from OCWC data)

To be frankly: I do not see that a map of OER projects, repositories
etc. is the most useful and wanted thing. Of course, a collection, an
extended list would be useful, a search function great and some ideas to
illustrate this collections and lists would be great.

I hesitate to promote a *map* because from my opinion, the idea of
mapping means that there is a need to decide the origin and/or workload
of OER projects, even if its sometimes a multinational community, a
multinational funding, a multinational cooperation etc. (Perhaps this
argumentation is not very common in the US ;-)

In my "own OER" project L3T (an open scientific textbook on e-learning
in German language, http://l3t.eu) we have co-authors from Germany,
Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands and Greek ... I don't have a clue
where to add it in your map. Personally, I live in Germany and work in
Austria. Even more important seems (for me) that this is a project in
German language. Eventually, it would be helpful for others to get an
idea about the topic and materials.

Only the political issue (which country pays/funds how much in OER
projects and materials) seems - IMHO - interesting and also important
for political discussions, esp. for UNESCO and Co.

Additionally - I guess the idea to develop a map is already established
;-) - I want to point to an existing list within the Wikieducator.org,
once established within the OLCOS project (the first project on OER
funded by the European Commission).

Here it is: http://wikieducator.org/Open_Educational_Content

BTW: In your map, the wikieducator will be (probably) a NZ project.
OLCOS was an European project with collaborators (at Wikieducator.org)
from NZ. I'm not able to decide where to locate it (in our time of
networked worldwide cooperations).

Kind regards, best wishes,
Sandra

Dr. Sandra Schö?n
InnovationLab | Salzburg NewMediaLab
sandra.schoen at salzburgresearch.at
http://sandra-schoen.de

Salzburg Research Forschungsgesellschaft m.b.H.
Jakob Haringer Strasse 5/III | 5020 Salzburg, Austria
T+43.662.2288-429 | F+43.662.2288-222
http://www.salzburgresearch.at