[Oer-community] Recentering our discussion

Sabu K C sabukc2001 at yahoo.co.in
Sat Oct 16 09:54:15 MDT 2010

Dear Dr. Susan and all colleagues,

I would like to share some of my reflections as follows.
I am reminded of the Socio-cultural transitions that witnessed the opening up of
'Education' in our part of the world in the Indian State of Kerala.
Traditionally in Kerala, 'Education' was confined to the limits of certain
privileged communities and the large majority of the commons (Common women and
men) were denied of access to 'learning'. Access to the religious scriptures,
reading and writing were all closed to those who were 'eligible'. Eligibility
was defined by Religious background, Caste and such other criteria.

Over the years due to the exposure and interaction with the international
communities (by way of trade and commerce, invasion, colonization, forced
occupation and the like) we saw many changes in society leading to the opening
of access to 'Education'. Kerala today is considered a Total Literate State in
India. With Distance Education and now with online opportunities, structured
learning is becoming convenient for those who are interested and pursuing higher
education in the State. It may be noted all these inn turn have also increased
the numbers of a new category of people in the state called 'Educated
unemployed' which appears to be a side effect of 'Structured Learning'.

Use of Open Content
While this being the case of Access to Education in general we are also noticing
another phenomenon in the use of open content especially in the use of chemicals
and pharmaceutical products. Although companies selling their products are
'publishing' all information including the side effects of their products/
medicines, the end user seems to be not caring for this open content. The
literature available is printed so small in size or in dull colour that it is
not readable. As a result indiscriminate use of pesticides and the drastic drugs
has increased in the state. Victims of Endosulfan application in cashew
plantations of the state is a latest example.

Here we need to note that the content is open but access to it is conveniently
locked by way of smaller letters and dull colors. What is lacking with the users
is perhaps the critical learning skills that will help them to access relevant
information and make judicious and positive use of it.

At this juncture I am of the view that OER/OCW should be studied by the teaching
community. Ideally OER should become an essential subject of study for Teacher
Education and Training program mes. This in turn can have a multiplier effect on
creating awareness on OER/OCW. Therefore we need to address the policy makers
and decisions makers involved in Education to draw their serious attention
towards OER/OCW.

Sabu K C Ph.D.