[Oer-community] Recentering our discussion

Tom Abeles tabeles at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 10:08:57 MDT 2010

Susan/All

I think Patrick is starting to get at the critical issues regarding global
access to knowledge in general and formal education/certification in
general. At this point in time, given current momentum, knowledge in the
form of OCW/OER and other vehicles is available and will be moreso in the
future. The bottom line is not the content but the access to the content in
a manner that will allow people to learn and to have that learning validated
where the latter seems to be the critical issue.

Let me explain:

In ancient days, expertise and knowledge was scarce and locked in the heads
of individuals be they practioners in guilds or scholars. The printing press
and now the internet breaks the secrecy and control of guilds (other than
practice) whether they are knowledge guilds such as accountants or
intellectual guilds such as universities. The value of such knowledge, even
when packaged in a course or text is approaching zero. In many ways, the
problem of the person creating these course materials are the same as that
faced by others on the net- how to be compensated if knowledge is free
(money or intangibles. The need to protect common knowledge such as English
101, though unique to an individual, is hardly worth a price differential- a
problem faced by publishers as their business model deteriorates.

Cost, today, is in part due to cost of access which is dropping rapidly with
smart phones that can deliver 1st run movies as an example and bandwidth.
The other part of the cost is certification. With all the knowledge that is
available, how does an individual know what is important, necessary and just
"interesting". The problem in many developing countries and even in
developed countries is that the institutions do not have sufficiently
qualified individuals to vet students and other learners so that these
persons know that they are competent and at what level. In other words we
all know that a degree from a medallion institution says more than a degree
from other institutions in the developed and developing world. This is why
professional organizations vet their members beyond the "degree" as we see
in medicine, for example.

There is a major shift due to the internet. Focusing on content packages is
a way of  trying to maintain an old system of knowledge control much as the
Church tried to do with the print medium, not just for the Church as an
institution but for those in the Church who had control. OCW/OER and open
access copyrights are vain attempts to maintain a crumbling system. For
education as a new/emerging industry (scholarly research is another subject
for discussion) access and certification coupled with standards so that
intelligent choices can be made provide the key.

There is one other point which can be taken from the animal feed industry,
UDGF. There can be two identically formulated feeds but animals perform
differently and no one knows why. With universities or schools we know that
two schools/institutions offering identical programs with identical texts,
etc have different rankings for graduates in the world of work. Thus all the
OER/OCW materials equally distributed to different parties and different
institutions will produce different results. We know many of these reasons
but not all

Bottom line, IMO, is that OCW/OER issues are part of a systems problem and
probably, in the near future, the least critical issue as costs for content
approach zero while cost for delivery will be critical and the ability to
utilize the content to develop competence and vetting that competence, as in
the past, will continue to dominate the education arena

thoughts?

tom

tom p abeles