[Oer-community] OER MOVEMENT AND DISTANCE EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS

Dr.N.BALASUBRAMANIAN Narayanaswamy nbalu1954 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 23:31:45 MDT 2010

Dear Mary Lou,
Greetings.Thanks for your kind mail which indicates the closure of the
discussion shortly. However, the points putforth by you  are really very
impressive toelicit further response from the group.  It has been witnessed that
the fire to learn and educate oneself is prevelent all over the world
particulary in developing countries
which some times vblocked due to inadequate facilities.  However, such blocks
could be overcome with the emergence of Open and Distance Education.  Trend has
already been set up in developing countries that the practice of distance
education has been gradually moving towards online learning. As such a day will
come when the online education may replace open and distance education in the
same way as how correspondence cour was replaced by distance and open learning.
When we swith over to online learning, we may need e-learning materials for
almost all the subjects all over the world.  Hence, it is high time that the
Distance Education Institutions across the world may join hands with OER
Movement and take joint responsibilities in developing the required materials
besides arriving at a mutual understanding in sharing the materials and avoiding
duplication of the work.  It is also possible that using the emerging machine
translation software, materials could be easily translated into the target
language.  Hope, my opion may be of some use in solving  one or two problems in
hand.
Thanking you,
Sincerely yours,
Dr.N.BALASUBRAMANIAN