[Oer-community] Antw: Wrapping up the conversation

Douglas Tedford douglastedford at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 07:27:33 MDT 2010

I agree, Stephen, about getting beyond the instructor-focused issues.  Check
my input about matching OER at the need level of students in rural
Guatemala, as an example.  I have great respect for all of you in your
ability to discuss options for presentation of OER content- and frankly, I
can't come up to that level... however, I would like to see more- a lot
more- discussion about specific needs for specific settings, and to find out
the commonalities of real potential uses of OER... For example Dr. Forward's
references and links to the African Virtual University- now there's a
practical and workable example of how OER resources can come together to
change lives for those willing and needing to utilize them.  DT

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Stephen Downes <stephen at downes.ca> wrote:

> I think Thomas Pfeffer gives us an excellent summary (below), to which I
> would like to make only one addition.
>
> The summary is offered strictly from the point of view of instructors, and
> the production and (especially) use of OERs by instructors. We really should
> widen our perspective.
>
> In the 'alternative concepts of OER', for example, we should include a
> representation of OERs as artifacts created, modified and passed along in
> order to facilitate learning and conversation between and by learners.
>
> And in 'learning to share' we should express the need to learn from the
> sharing culture that learners, especially, have already developed on the web
> - everything from fan fiction to parodies to lip-dubs to blogging,
> syndication, and file sharing. We should also express the need to find and
> implement ways to *support* this sharing, instead of discouraging it and
> passing legislation prohibiting it.
>
> To my mind, these are the two most important aspects of open educational
> resources, but to get to them, we must get beyond the instruction- and
> instructor-focused discussion, which really seems to be the hardest thing
> for these discussion lists to do.
>
> -- Stephen
>

> On 10/14/2010 7:16 AM, Thomas.Pfeffer at uni-klu.ac.at wrote:
>
> Dear Mary Lou
> Dear All,
>
> skipping through the converstation of the last weeks, I try to answer your
> last question: Where should we be concentrating efforts for maximum impact?
>
> 1) Foster alternative concepts of OER
>
> Sometimes the debates on OER tend to simplify the conceptual diversity of
> OER conepts and models. Stephen Carson was one of the few acknowledge
> different approaches in a very practical way, distinguishing
> *) OER as a substitute (of textbooks)
> *) OER as reusable resource (focused on automated learning)
> *) OER as transparency (accross curriculum, to inform students)
>
> I fully agree that the last category has been underobserved so far. For
> traditional universities in continental Europe, this would be the most
> plausible way to introduce OER (e.g. as semi-transparent OCW.) In fact, much
> material is available already without being formally called "OER".
>
> 2) "Learning to share"
>
> The first observation leads to the second: there exists a variety of
> concepts and approaches. However, as Paul Stacy said there is a "huge
> reluctance" to go beyond the individual model and use "anyone elses OER".
>
> So, what would be key is (as Wayne Macintosh phrased it) the "learning to
> share". We definitely need more experience and training in the "learning to
> share" and learning to use OER beyond individual models.
>
> From my side, I would be interested in developing a training course/program
> for "learning to share and learning to use". (However, this offering would
> have to generate some revenues to cover my costs.)
>
> best whishes
>
> Tom Pfeffer
> [...]

Dr. Douglas Tedford
ELT Author - Editor - Teacher Trainer
Researcher - Online English for Rural Guatemala
Mexico City, Mexico
celular: (011 52 1) 55 1724 3738