[Oer-community] On-line education is using a flawed Creative Commons license

Kim Tucker kctucker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 03:35:08 MST 2012

NB The thread "Freedom perspective (on NC, SA and mapping)" is also
relevant to this discussion.
Below are a few comments regarding:

> I think Stallman's point about the difference between software and OER
> content is relevant. In software, you adapt and redevelop functional
> modules. You reuse implementations of ideas. That's why patents are
> important for SW. In content, the issue is more about expression. The author
> may be interested in preserving the integrity of the message. That's why
> some countries have clearly separated moral rights from (commercial)
> copyrights.

Stallman uses a no derivatives licence for his works of opinion as he
does not see them as functional didactic works. Personally, I do not
make that distinction and usually use a libre licence (cc-by-sa) even
for works of opinion. The attribution requirement will always lead
people back to my version which may hold my opinion (at the time of
writing). I generally express these opinions to educate people (myself
included).

What do you mean by the following?

> That's why patents are
> important for SW.

I find that confusing with my current understanding of software
patents. See for example

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/fighting-software-patents.html
http://wikieducator.org/Software_patents

This also reminds me of a term which can distort our thinking in
discussions about non-rivalrous resources such as OER: "intellectual
property":

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html

Rethinking OER from the perspective/vision of "freedom to learn"
rather than sharing the property of the educational institutions led
me to write:

http://wikieducator.org/Say_Libre - an essay which touches on these
and other related issues.

Thanks