[Oer-community] Global Open Access Map - lessons for OER?

Susan D'Antoni susandantoni at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 05:49:04 MST 2012

Dear Jennie and colleagues,

Thank you for your message and perhaps there are other colleagues in Africa
who would like to comment on how to organize collaboration  ...

Thinking of another region as well, the European Commission opened a public
consultation from mid August to mid November of this year on "Opening up
Education http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/consult/open_en.htm.

The resulting Rethinking Education strategy was announced on 20 November
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-12-1233_en.htm .

And one of the points made is: "Technology, in particular the internet,
must be fully exploited. Schools, universities and vocational and training
institutions must increase access to education via open educational
resources."

Do any of you want to comment on the importance of this announcement in the
context of our discussion of potential means of collaborating to collect
comprehensive information on OER initiatives by region?

Best,

Susan