[Oer-community] On-line education is using a flawed Creative Commons license

Wayne Mackintosh mackintosh.wayne at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:36:35 MST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Stephen Downes <stephen at downes.ca> wrote:

> The problem with this is the Flat World publications or the OERu
> assessment scenario - content deposited with the intent that it be
> available without cost is converted into a commercial product. It's not
> free if you can't access it.

Stephen, your assumption is incorrect with reference to access to learning
materials and the OERu assessment model.

The founding OERu anchors partners, as per the decisions of the inaugural
meeting which was streamed live with back-channels for the open community
to engage and participate in all activities agreed:

   - to conduct all planning activities of the OERu openly and
   transparently in WikiEducator and you can monitor progress from the open
   planning portal <http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/Planning> in the
   wiki where all discussions are conducted with radical transparency inviting
   contributions from all interested parties including non-OERu members.
   Furthermore there are no restrictions to anyone joining the OERu open
   planning discussion
groups<http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/Planning/OERu_Communication_technologies_and_protocols>
   .
   - to develop OERu courses in WIkiEducator. To date all OER Foundation
   courses have been conducted openly in the wiki and all interested people of
   free to follow and participate in OERu courses without the requirement to
   register an account on any of the OER Foundation maintained websites.
   Moreover, the open community governance
policy<http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Open_Community_Governance_Policy>of
the WikiEducator community states that: "
   *In collaboration with WikiEducators around the world, the governance
   structure provides the organisational framework to support the community in
   the achievement of its aims, maintaining the essential freedoms of the
   project resources, and making these available on the Internet in
   perpetuity'  -- *as a matter of public policy.  Given that WikiEducator
   policy requires the use of free cultural works approved licenses inclusive
   of the requirement for open and editable file formats, in practice this
   means that if ever the OER Foundation we're unable to sustain its
   activities financially, we would make the data base available for anyone to
   reuse in open and editable file formats.

Stephen, your statement in the context of the OERu suggesting that "It's
not free if you can't access it" does not hold true for the OERu
collaboration.

Wayne

--
Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.