[Oer-community] Mapping projects

Susan D'Antoni susandantoni at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 09:21:17 MST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

As our reflection has progressed, there appears to be discussion about both
OER initiatives - and OER (the resources themselves).

We started out with reference to a world map of OER initiatives/projects.
Mary Lou Forward articulated the focus in her early message:

********************
"As the movement is maturing, more and more people are interested in what
OER is, what projects are underway, who is participating and how the
movement is growing and changing. A global OER map will provide a snapshot
to this information - a gateway to understanding the worldwide dimensions
of OER. ...

In service to the OER community, a map can help foster new collaborations
between projects around the world by allowing us to quickly identify
projects we may not otherwise know about that could complement and
strengthen our own work. As a living example of OER, this map may spur new
cooperative efforts between those already engaged in OER and those
interested in it."
********************

There are numerous OER repositories to help people find specific resources,
as well as projects working on how to improve finding resources. A number
of you have been talking about some of this work.  Information about how to
find could eventually be linked to a world map as a separate layer of
information.  With time and energy and perhaps some resources, it could be
possible to add more layers to a world map of initiatives later.

But we might have a better chance of success in building a comprehensive
world map of initiatives or projects if we started with a relatively
limited amount of information on each initiative.

Start big - the world, but small - the amount of information on each
project ...

Thoughts?

Best,

Susan