[Oer-community] Essential information

Wayne Mackintosh mackintosh.wayne at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 16:52:41 MST 2012

Hi everyone,

Duda raises an important question regarding open file formats.

As an OER initiative we should be sensitive to learners and institutions
worldwide who may not be able to afford the licensing costs of non-free
software or choose not to sacrifice their freedoms by using non-free
technologies.

This is particularly important when taking decisions regarding the
technology choices for the mapping initiative. There are a number of open
projects worldwide that would not be able to implement a Google Maps based
solution for our OER global map due to the proprietary nature of the
software.

Should we establish open file formats as a foundation principle for
building the OER map?

Wayne

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Duda Nogueira <dudanogueira at gmail.com>wrote:

> And for those who likes open standarts, the same file as a ODT format.
>

> Duda Nogueira
> Gerente de Projetos em Tecnologia
> www.dudanogueira.com.br
>
> Celular: +55 31 9985-1271
>

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Susan D'Antoni <susandantoni at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>

>> Yesterday Simon Buckingham Shum identified two threads emerging in our
>> discussion:
>>

>> 1.   A self-sustaining geo-map serving as a gateway to link to projects.
>>

>> 2.    A global OER discovery portal that would search /filter
>> curriculum, topic, level, etc.
>>

>> It is the geographical map we are focusing on here.  So, moving into the
>> next week let us turn to the sample geographic map again.
>>

>> One of the issues that has been raised in the discussion is what
>> information would be needed for even an initial simple OER world map to be
>> useful.  And what message is to be conveyed by the information.
>>

>> Taking the sample map as it loads from
>> http://oerworldmap.oerknowledgecloud.org/, the message might be the
>> global nature of OER initiatives and evidence of some areas with many or
>> few initiatives.
>>

>> Qing Chen noted that maps can have layers, and that is what has been
>> shown with the Filter options.
>>

>> One of the layers in the sample map – Markers 1,2,3 – is intended to
>> present three examples (of different amounts of information that could be
>> associated with each institutional initiative.
>>

>> On the map, click on the arrow in the box under Filter – then click on
>> Markers 1,2,3.  This will open another layer of the map with just three
>> small white markers.  Each has a different amount of information.
>>

>>     Marker 1 is MIT, with very little information, just enough for
>> linking to the institution or the project.
>>

>>     Marker 2 is the African Virtual University, with more information
>> such as contact, start date, level of education and language.
>>

>>     Marker 3 is the UK Open University, and has the same amount of
>> information as AVU, but it also has a link to a document describing the OER
>> initiative – a case study, in this instance.
>>

>> Can we turn to considering what would be really essential information –
>> balancing that with the effort needed to collect it.
>>

>> The weekend approaches so the list may quieten.  Taking this opportunity, a
>> colleagues will prepare a brief summary of some of the key points discussed
>> over the past week.  You will receive this by Monday.
>>

>> This has been a rich conversation this week, thanks to all,
>>

>> Susan
>>
>> PS A picture of each marker in included in the attached file for anyone
>> having trouble accessing the map online.

Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>
Director, International Centre for Open Education, Otago Polytechnic
Commonwealth of Learning Chair in OER, Otago Polytechnic
Founder and elected Community Council Member,
WikiEducator<http://www.wikieducator.org>
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/Mackiwg> |