[Oer-community] My views about an OER World Map

Bernard, NKUYUBWATSI nkuyubwatsi at khi.ac.rw
Thu Nov 15 07:07:06 MST 2012

Dear Gerard,

Nice to see you again in a thought feeding forum like this.

I have a rather optimistic view of the situation and development in
Rwanda. With the current reform of the public higher education in
which all public institutions will merge into different colleges of
the University of Rwanda, a new college/school, The College/School of
Open and Distance Learning, will be established. I have been in the
Task Force and Working Group for the set up of this college/school
since March this year, but we started working on strategic plan to put
OER and Open Education into Practices  with the establishment of
Rwanda Education Board (REB). More specifically, I have been
volunteering in the Department of ICT in Education and Open, Distance
and ODL since August 2011.

 The original idea was to have an Open University but with the reform
mentioned above, it was reasonably decided that since it is a new idea
in Rwanda, it would be more understood if we start it at the scool
level, with th potential to grow as a college or even autonomous
university as open education practices become familiar to many
Rwandans.

At least, we have been able to convince the Ministry of Education
senior management on the practicality and life changing impact of an
ODL Institution/college/school. This resulted in the creation of a
Task Force to work on the project. We were given one month to come up
with a final report, but from a professional point of view, we found
that it was not practical to produce an operational plan of the ODL
school/college/institution in such a short period. We produced an
inception report with recommendation to set up a working group that
would dedicate some of their working hours on the project for a period
of six month. Senior leaders in the Ministry of Education were
convnced by what we were presenting and set up the Working Group.

In the final report we are writing for The Minister of Education (to
be presented late this month), we highly recommended that the school
adopt open education practices, advocate for equalization of higher
education access and be a leader in OER production and use. It is
through these practices that we see the college/school's potentials to
reach thousands of learners in Rwanda who qualify and long to attend
higher education but they are excluded by their geographical location
and financial disadvantages.

OER practices can also improve significantly the quality of
conventional higher education. In my earlier post, I describe the
scenario of getting book from my undergraduate institution (NUR) and I
think you were still teaching  there (That was in 2006). With OER,
such a hassle would have been reduced. I am currently conducting my
PhD research and most of the resources I am using are copyrighted
under the CC license, which means learners anywhere in the world can
access and use them. And of course, since I am researching the use of
OER and Open Technologies in the Development of Open Higher Education,
I have to use openly licenced resources extensively so that I
eventually preach what I practice. My work will be copyrighted under
the CC licence as well.

Best regards,

Bernard