[Oer-community] A reflection

Phil Barker phil.barker at hw.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 04:28:00 MST 2012

Hello Fred, everyone
LRMI isn't specifically for OERs. It extends schema.org in order to
describe some educationally relevant properties of a resource. There is
a nod to OER in that it allows a link to/URL for the licensing
conditions to be expressed, which provides a way in for stating that a
resource is available under a creative commons license. LRMI doesn't
stand alone; it only makes sense as a part of schema.org, and schema.org
certainly makes provision for describing paid for resources.

I agree those other metadata schema would work equally well for open or
not open resources, assuming agreement on how to express the CC licences
could be reached, however (in my view) the Rights category of the LOM
wasn't well developed.

Phil

--
<http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/~philb/>

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.