[Oer-community] A reflection

Susan D'Antoni susandantoni at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 19:08:26 MST 2012

Yes Fred,

The focus of this exploration was to be a map the would identify those
engaged in OER institutional initiatives and perhaps national initiatives.
 A precise definition of "initiative" remains to be srticulated.

The larger issue of "finding" OER is a much bigger challenge and much more
complex and demanding.  It is one the OER community is still wrestling with
and there are, as t you mention, a number of important projects dealing
with the issue.

Early discussion in the IIEP OER Community had the leit motif of copyright
and licenses because the focus then was on creating and sharing OER.  Once
a body of OER became available the focus of attention has shifted to
finding the right resource - the needle in the haystack,  You are sure
there is something out there on the Internet that will help you, but how to
find it. Therefore the interest and work on meta data and tagging comes to
the fore.

The comment made by Mary Lou Forward about a map as a gateway, and entry
point bears discussion.

Best,

Susan