[Oer-community] A reflection

Bernard, NKUYUBWATSI nkuyubwatsi at khi.ac.rw
Thu Nov 15 03:32:26 MST 2012

If mapping OERs is the answer
> what is the educational problem we are trying to address?

Dear Helen,

Thank you for the interesting question.

I see two educational problems we might be finding solution with the
help of OER Map.

1. Quality education: Since closely copyrighted books are too
expensive for learners in many developing countries, many institutions
do not require students to buy books because they are aware that only
the small minority from the rich class will afford the books (Rwanda
is an example whire there is no such a requirement). Such a
requirement would be promoting exclusive education for the rich (rich
in Rwandan setting) and exclude learners from economically
disadvantaged families (the overwhelming majority). Also,
institutional libraries do not have enough copies for students. I
personally recall having tried to borrow a book from my undergraduate
institution library for months, but I could not find most of the books
I needed to complete my dissertation because they were always on loan.
 Maping OERs would contribute significantly to equalization of access
to learning matirals (although probably not entirely) and reduce the
restriction of many developing countries' students' learning to
teachers' notes.

2. Access to education: OER can also be accessed and used in informal
learning. If there are effective open access strategies, the location
and use of OER would help expand access to formal education. The OERu
endeavour seems to respond to this problem.

Best regards,

Bernard