[Oer-community] Be very clear what you want to map

Simon Buckingham Shum s.buckingham.shum at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 02:53:10 MST 2012

Hi all,

Greetings from OpenU, UK. OK, I see two basic design spaces being talked about:

1. A self-sustaining geo-map, serving as a gateway to link to projects, but not seeking to duplicate much detail

2. A global OER discovery portal allowing for search/filtering based on curriculum, topic, level, etc

The kickoff topic was (1) but quickly expanded when people pointed out that geo-location is hardly the only useful way to think about mapping a movement. That is absolutely valid, but moves us into (2), on which many people have already been working. It may also be that Type 2 initiatives could generate geo-maps as a by-product of the many other forms of metadata they have.

The work that we did in the OLnet Project was actually a new type 3: in the Open Education Evidence Hub that Patrick McAndrew pointed you to, we do generate an annotated Google map as one view. We did not want to duplicate work in (2), but focus instead on the evidence base for OER impact, so it tracks key challenges, issues, solutions and evidence in the OER movement: http://ci.olnet.org

Following OLnet, we've generified the EvHub into a collective intelligence platform enabling any community to maintain community maps and the pooling of evidence: http://evidence-hub.net
This will be released open source shortly, so you could rip out any bits you didn't like to just keep the participatory mapping dimension -- whatever the community deems fit for purpose. Start simple, and grow it organically. Of course if you like the Evidence Hub concept, then you already have http://ci.olnet.org

Regards,

Simon

Dr Simon Buckingham Shum
Knowledge Media Institute, The Open University UK
Senior Lecturer & Assoc. Director (Technology)
Berrill Building, Level 4, Vincent Wing, Rm 42
Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA
Office: +44 (0)1908 655723
M: +44 (0)7808 501061
E: s.buckingham.shum at gmail.com