[Oer-community] My views about an OER World Map

Virapin Jenna jenna_nanou6 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 00:51:17 MST 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm Jenna and I'm an educator from
 Mauritius. I'm actually new to the OER environment and just learning about it since I joined my Bsc Educational Technology course at the University of Mauritius.

>From what I have understood about the OERs, I can definitely add that an OER
 world map is a must specially for developing countries like Mauritius.Foremost, let me briefly describe the actual education system in my country. Here, in Mauritius the concept of OER and its' impact on Education and Research
 is not really a concern and if i can say, its often misunderstood or unknown in my country. Mauritian Educators, mostly, still stick to the traditional chalk and talk method. In fact, this can be explained by the lack of emphasis
 put on education through Technology tools. Basically, in most primary and secondary schools, the use of technology in teaching and learning demands loads of improvement. I will add that even if some educational institutions internet is not available and I personally think its depriving the kids from enjoying fresh and innovative ways of learning.Though the Mauritian government is trying its best to facilitate the access to technology, the OER projects are still not understood by many. I will add that honestly, even for me, if i didn't enroll for my course, I would still be wondering about the OER movement.

Therefore,I personally think that having an OER world map will not only raise awareness if an OER community in my country but will also help both educators and the general public to have a better idea of all the Open Resources available from the different parts of the globe and which could be easily accessed and most importantly legally. It
 will reduce the apprehension of many who don't know the purpose and importance of an OER community. It will be a way to connect countries despite their political, cultural and status differences. I personally think that it will be an enriching initiative especially
 for small countries like Mauritius which is still growing economically. Since, we are living in the technological era, i think it's of great importance to initiate the learners to an OER world map. There can be so many exchanges and which will benefit each and everyone.

I think to have a better appreciation of an OER World Map, OER should be taught or at least delivered as an additional subject or module or in terms of workshops in each and every schools or educational institutions. It will facilitate its implementation and comprehension.

However, before creating an OER World Map,I think that there are certain points to be considered:
a) To find suitable technologies to convey OERs in a feasible, useable, economically and effective way which will benefit all countries.
b) Fashioning the OERs to meet education requirements for each country.
c) It will demand that institutions to develop new curriculum framework which will
 implement OERs.
d) There should be constant evaluation process on the quality of the resources available.
e) To sustain the economic viability of OER in the long term so that they remain freely available in an open marketplace.

Regards,
Jenna.