[Oer-community] Forwarded message on behalf of Kathy Nicholson

Saul Fisher saul.fisher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:45:33 MST 2012

Friends,

As baptizer of the term "Open Educational Resources" (at the UNESCO meeting
ten years ago that Susan notes), I am pleased beyond my wildest hopes to
see progress in this domain over the last decade.

The idea of mapping OER is a great one, just in case it will facilitate growth
in competent and effective use of OER; that in turn entails promotion
of sharing,
reuse, adaptation, localization, and translation of OER assets.

As some others have suggested, though, *geographic* mapping (i.e.,
representation in map/mash-up format) might not capture the most important
aggregation, representation, or search aid.

So what kind of mapping would be more important towards facilitating growth
in competent and effective use?  Some on this list have proposed various kinds
of meta-data to collect (especially important, for any international
efforts, as regards geographic and linguistic identity), and they are
surely correct to do so.  Towards that end, the best self-standing OER
projects already build meta-data into their architecture, some extensively
so.

But let's look at this from a user's perspective.  If you are involved in
instruction or academic administration, you want to know *what* assets there
are (perhaps discoverable through currently available search tools),  *where*
the assets are (again, currently available search tools might suffice), and
*how* they might fit into your curricular framework.  This last piece is a
great challenge, if only because everyone's curricular framework differs
from the next one, whether because of national, institutional,
disciplinary, or personal differences.  But as that is the most difficult
problem to tackle on a systematic basis (because it's strongly dynamic and
highly context sensitive), so too it must be the problem (of these three)
that is most valuable to solve.  And it is, after all, a mapping problem
--namely, a *curricular *mapping problem.

Many in this community are likely familiar with curricular mapping.  So,
briefly (or as a reminder), curricular mapping is a representation—often
visual—of curricular units *and their relations*, relative to curricular
pathways and trajectories to completion of courses, degrees, certificates,
or other learning units.  While such maps are often built to represent
actual pathways, they are also used to plan new ones or adjust old ones.  I
doubt we could expect to create such a map that shows how extant OER meet
all curricular needs; instead, we might hope to show what OER fit where for
a wide variety of curricular pathway-relative needs.  That, in turn, would
help identify where pressing gaps are, whether relative to general
curricular demands, or specific needs as indexed to local educational
parameters, linguistic gaps, and the like.

Curricular mapping in the OER space has been explored in a number of OER
projects, and hopefully our community can draw on those experiences and
knowledge, as well as the longer tradition of curricular mapping in the
academy.

All best wishes,

Saul Fisher

*---
Saul Fisher
Executive Director for Grants and Academic Initiatives
Visiting Associate Professor of Philosophy
Mercy College
555 Broadway
Dobbs Ferry, NY  10522  USA
sfisher at mercy.edu *