[Oer-community] A Global OER map?

Sarah Kirn sarah at gmri.org
Tue Nov 13 06:00:20 MST 2012

Dear OER community,

I'm generally in favor of efforts that create coordination and open possibility for collaboration – those are all good things and worthy of investing time and resources. I have two thoughts about this map/these maps:

  1.  A geography-based map might be most helpful for us, the creators of OER content, such that we can find one another and collaborate, share best practices, solve common problems.
  2.  Topic- or discipline-based maps might be more useful to the consumers of OER… The nature of OER is that it doesn't matter from where (geographically) a resource comes. OER consumers are looking for the right resource to fit their learning (or teaching) need.

I think a bit of work up front to determine the use cases for these maps (who will use them and in what context) would be time well spent. And perhaps the same database can drive multiple maps?

Just a thought. Forgive me if others in the conversation have said the same or if I misconstrued the point of the effort.

Cheers,
Sarah
--

Sarah Kirn