[Oer-community] usefulness of global map

Mary Lou Forward mlforward at ocwconsortium.org
Mon Nov 12 10:08:09 MST 2012

Dear OER Community,

The OpenCourseWare Consortium is very pleased to have provided data for the
initial example of a global OER map. Hopefully it will spur some ideas of
the kind of map that will be most helpful. We think that such a map can
serve both internal and external needs of the OER community.  As the
movement is maturing, more and more people are interested in what OER is,
what projects are underway, who is participating and how the movement is
growing and changing. A global OER map will provide a snapshot to this
information - a gateway to understanding the worldwide dimensions of OER.
I have found that a visual representation of activities worldwide is a very
powerful tool when talking about OER with new audiences.  As Kathy
Nicholson asked, how can we use such a representation as an entry point to
educating those new to OER about its impact, potential and reach?

In service to the OER community, a map can help foster new collaborations
between projects around the world by allowing us to quickly identify
projects we may not otherwise know about that could complement and
strengthen our own work. As a living example of OER, this map may spur new
cooperative efforts between those already engaged in OER and those
interested in it.  I hope it will also serve as a catalyst for gathering
and sharing more kinds of data on OER, which will help us improve OER
projects and enhance our arguments for their importance.

I look forward to the discussion about how we can use such a tool.
Mary Lou

--
Mary Lou Forward
Executive Director