[Oer-community] In fields like OER -- Shouldn't we eat our own dog food?

Brian Lamb brlamb at exchange.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 12 14:41:27 MDT 2010

On 2010-10-12, at 5:38 AM, Jennie Lawrence wrote:

> Hello Wayne and Everyone,
>
> Well briefly in reply, "In fields like OER, why is the OER Foundation charging for its information? Doesn't sound like your trying to share very well with others, or eating your own Dog Food, but trying to sell and make profit off of what is being given freely by other donor institutions.

The section of the OER Foundation that you cite does not give any indication that it is "charging for its information", much less doing so for information "being given freely by other donor institutions." I do see it trying to solicit funding from partners to sustain its activity, with an indication of "value-added services" (not "information") being provided in return. That does not seem so different than the model employed by many open source developers.

I am not in a position to judge the funding model of the OER Foundation. Based on this email, I do not think Jennie Lawrence is either.  But in WikiEducator we have evidence of an organization that has been an active participant in the open education movement for years, promoting an unmistakably strong commitment to openness in many forms.  When I look at the WikiEducator and OER Foundation sites, all I see is freely available open content, hosted on an open source wiki platform.

Given that record, I am dismayed that such a mean-spirited accusation is made on the basis of such flimsy evidence. I cannot see how it contributes to any argument whatsoever.

Brian

---
Brian Lamb
Teaching and Learning Strategist
Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology
The University of British Columbia
604.313.4726
http://blogs.ubc.ca/brian  http://ctlt.ubc.ca