[Oer-community] In fields like OER -- Shouldn't we eat our own dog food?

Abel Caine a.caine at unesco.org
Tue Oct 12 11:01:39 MDT 2010

Bonjour all,

With Free and Open Source Software (FOSS), you're able to download and use
the software free of charge and you have the freedom to change the source
code.

However, if you're implementing a very complex FOSS application, say for an
organization or company that couldn't afford downtime, you would want to
hire an expert or an expert organization to ensure that it is done very
well, on time and on budget.

I'll admit I haven't extensively reviewed the OER Foundation charging model
but a light review of the website text and a few previous conversations with
Wayne indicated that what you're buying is expertize and not OER content
(just like FOSS).

Wayne's online soon and can provide a more detailed or concise response.

Regards,
Abel