[Oer-community] In fields like OER -- Shouldn't we eat our own dog food?

Jennie Lawrence jennie at the3rdgoal.org
Tue Oct 12 06:38:06 MDT 2010

Hello Wayne and Everyone,

Well briefly in reply, "In fields like OER, why is the OER Foundation
charging for its information? Doesn't sound like your trying to share very
well with others, or eating your own Dog Food, but trying to sell and make
profit off of what is being given freely by other donor institutions.

  <http://wikieducator.org/File:Sapling1.png>
*Active partner*
 <http://wikieducator.org/File:Sapling1.png>
*Donor partner*

An Active Partner integrates OER approaches into their operations to assist
in achieving their strategic objectives.

The OER Foundation provides a number of value-added services (over and above
the standard benefits) to help education institutions reduce cost, improve
quality and widen access to educational opportunities using OER as
determined by their partnership status:

   - Bronze (US$1,000)
   - Silver (US$8,000)
   - Gold (US$5,000 plus staff contribution)
   - Platinum (US$>10,000)

A Donor Partner believes in the educational value of sharing knowledge
freely and their contribution helps us to build sustainable OER futures.
Their financial contribution forms part of our international giving campaign
to support the WikiEducator/Open Education Ecosystem.

Donor partners participate in OER Foundation activities including access to
free professional development (training) and an international collaborative
wiki platform. They are acknowledged on the OER Foundation website and may
join in the capacity of an:

   - Institution (US$200)
   - School (US$50) or
   - Individual (US$50)

 What are OERs?<http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:OER_Foundation/FAQs/Open_Education_Resources/>

The Internet provides unique opportunities for educators to access, use,
modify, and share educational materials. Open Educational Resources (OERs),
are educational materials which are licensed in ways that provide
permissions for individuals and institutions to reuse, adapt and modify the
materials for their own use. OERs can, and do include full courses,
textbooks, streaming videos, exams, software, and any other materials or
techniques supporting learning.

Thanks for letting me in,

--
Jennie