[Oer-community] Is MIT thinking of putting its OCW material behind a pay wall?

Mahmud, Talat tmahmud at savechildren.org
Sun Oct 10 21:42:59 MDT 2010

Dear Mary Lou and all

Thank you for being explicit about the pay wall issue. It won't be
expected from MIT to do it. Education is becoming more and more of a
business in many ways and the trend is gradually increasing Education
should be part of the public expenditure and if it is not possible for
the public sector, private sector education should not be seen as any
other corporate sector like software, transport, telecom ect. Many
corporate sectors thrive for profit only to be giant, and indirectly
want to rule or influence ruling, ignoring socio-economic aspects, which
ultimately creates social inequity and disharmony. They then came to a
new term CSR and they try to compensate through CSR. But private sector
education should be the opposite. They should work for social equity and
thus thrive for social harmony and profit for survival only if public
sector fails to support education.

Talat