[Oer-community] Is MIT thinking of putting its OCW material behind a pay wall?

Mary Lou Forward mlforward at ocwconsortium.org
Sun Oct 10 06:50:58 MDT 2010

Dear Fred and all,

MIT is not planning to put their OpenCourseWare site behind a paywall.
Below is their statement, which can also be found on their website at
http://ocw.mit.edu/about/media-coverage/press-releases/:

 *Erroneous reports of possible OCW paywall appear in news media*

*OCW paywall not under consideration.*

A handful of recent news articles have reported that MIT is considering
placing its MIT OpenCourseWare program behind a paywall. These articles
stemmed from remarks about e-learning that were made by an MIT administrator
at a recent educational conference. The articles were based on a
misinterpretation of the administrator’s remarks.

The content on MIT OpenCourseWare will continue to be free and available
online, as it has always been.  Like other universities, MIT is constantly
exploring new educational opportunities—including the possibility of
e-learning opportunities—but MIT has no plans to charge for access to MIT
OpenCourseWare content.

About OpenCourseWare

An OpenCourseWare is a free and open digital publication of high quality
university-level educational materials – often including syllabi, lecture
notes, assignments, and exams – organized as courses. While OpenCourseWare
(OCW) initiatives typically do not provide a degree, credit, or
certification, or access to instructors, the materials are made available
under open licenses for use and adaptation by educators and learners around
the world.

About MIT OpenCourseWare

MIT OpenCourseWare makes the materials used in the teaching of substantially
all of MIT's undergraduate and graduate courses—more than 2,000 in
all—available on the Web, free of charge, to any user in the world. OCW
receives an average of 1.5 million web site visits per month from more than
215 countries and territories worldwide. To date, more than 65 million
visitors have accessed the free MIT educational materials on the site or in
translation.

--
Mary Lou Forward
OpenCourseWare Consortium