[Oer-community] Using OCW/OER as a platform

Bakary Diallo bdiallo at avu.org
Fri Oct 8 01:35:29 MDT 2010

Dear Mary Lou,

Thank you for mentioning the African Virtual University's Teacher Education Program in your message below. I would like to provide more information on this initiative.

-          73 modules  have been developed [ math, physics, chemistry, biology, teacher education professional courses, ICT basic skills and ICT integration in education]

-          Modules are available in 3 languages (English, French, and Portuguese), so that we have 219 modules available

-          12 universities from 10 African countries, across the language divide-participated actively in designing and developing  the modules

-          The modules have been structured as 4  bachelor programs see http://www.avu.org/Consortium-Programs/consortium-programs.html , and as certificate programs

-          Participating universities have adopted the above programs through their senate

-          - currently some 3000 students have registered in the programs,  in participating universities and in AVU  certificate programs ( ICT basic skills, and Integration of ICT in math and sciences see http://www.avu.org/Certificate/Diploma/certificate-diploma.html

-          A quality assurance framework was developed and adopted by partners

-          We are currently finalizing the development of an online repository OER at AVU  that will host all 209 modules and additional learning objects. We hope to finalize within few weeks. So can see sample modules at http://www.avu.org/The-AVU-OER-Repository/oer-avu-repository.html

The process has generated lot of enthusiasm from the 12 participating universities who have requested AVU to form a Teacher Education Virtual Consortium www.avu.org/Teacher-Education-Virtual-Consortium/teacher-education-virtual-consortium.html

This was not an easy task, it required funding from the African Development Bank and other partners, collaboration with Ministries of Education and universities.  For more information about the processes, outcome and challenges, see www.avu.org/Teacher-Education-Programme/teacher-education-programme.html

You can view a video of this project, a presentation at MIT Linc Conference in Boston in May 2010 www.avu.org/News/avu-rector-makes-keynote-address-at-the-mit-linc-conference.html

One key success factor of this initiative is ownership of the content by universities. We are planning to learn from this process and develop content in computer science, health science, food security and more.

Best regards,

______________________

                  .

Bakary Diallo, Ph.D

Rector/ Recteur

African Virtual University/Université Virtuelle Africaine

Cape Office Park (opp. Yaya Center)
Ring Road, Kilimani
PO Box 25405 - 00603
Nairobi, Kenya.