[Oer-community] Introduction to the discussion

rory rory at athabascau.ca
Wed Oct 6 19:15:05 MDT 2010

  Kimberly,
Why is it so important that we have peer review for OERs? We have had
proprietary learning content used for centuries with no peer review. Not
all of it is "true" nor was it all worth sharing. Who decides what is
worthy for proprietary content?
Answer: usually the teacher or the department;
How?  Ans: Usually by what is available. Or by the idiosnycracy of the
instructor. Or, by a myriad of other methods.
Criteria? Ans: Usually none other than what is available and it seems
like the same as what the instructor learned by. Or other reasons, few
of them based on pedagogical considerations.

So, the answer for OERs may very well continue the same except that
there is a growing movement for better pedagogy especially with using
online OERs so there seems to be an improvement.  I think that
improvement will continue, but we will still have poor quality content,
but with the availability and access of more and more content, we will
have more opportunity to choose and not be dependent on  one or two
choices of availability, but a whole range, as will the students. If
they don't like the teacher's choice they can find other materials on
the same or a similar subject online.

Interesting!
All the best.
Rory