[Oer-community] Introduction to the discussion

Mary Lou Forward mlforward at ocwconsortium.org
Tue Oct 5 08:47:51 MDT 2010

Dear OER community,

We are very pleased to be joining you for this discussion.  As you read in
Susan’s attachment, the OpenCourseWare Consortium’s 2010 conference focused
on Educational Policy and OpenCourseWare.  The three subthemes, Building
OCW, Using OCW as a Platform, and Sustaining OCW, provided opportunities to
learn about and discuss the impacts and challenges of opening educational
resources.  You can view many of the presentations, including the keynote
addresses by Hal Plotkin of the US Department of Education, and Malcolm
Reed, of JISC in the UK, at http://vimeo.com/ocwconsortium. Presentation
slides and materials can be found in the “global conferences” folder at
http://www.ocwconsortium.org/community/documents.

Terri Bays and Meena Hwang, OCW Consortium staff, and Steve Carson,
President of the Board of Directors, will also be joining the conversation.
We thought it would helpful to organize the discussion following the format
of the conference, with a day for each theme:

·      *Building OCW* – How and why to create OCW and OER, lessons learned
and ways to effectively use OER to support educational policy.

·     * **Using OCW as a Platform* – Current and potential uses of OER to
support educational goals such as increased success in higher education,
workforce development, life-long learning, and international collaboration.

·      *Sustaining OCW* – Strategies for sustaining, building and expanding
projects, ways to showcase impact of OCW and OER, what the future holds for
the movement.

·      *Educational Policy and OCW* – Strategies for gaining policy-level
support for OER, steps being taken around the world to incorporate openness
in education, why policy is important to the future of OER.

We can follow these themes with a couple of days for questions and answers,
or to address other issues.  We’re also happy to answer questions anytime,
and to get your feedback.  We’re looking forward to the week’s discussions.

Best regards,

Mary Lou Forward

--
Mary Lou Forward