[Oer-community] On-line education is using a flawed Creative Commons license

rory rory at athabascau.ca
Fri Nov 30 16:34:48 MST 2012

> > For the third time, I would ask you to provide one example of CC
> content that is locked down and that people cannot freely access. That
> would be helpful.
>
> This is of course difficult to do since the content is not accessible.
> I can't surf the web by intuition.
>
>  RORY>> Even more difficult because such a case does not exist. I can
> point you to the FlatWorld site where they have closed CC content --
> but eh!! they are using a NC licence. They don't use CC works that are
> not NC!!
>
> But let's take my own content as an example, which is licensed under
> Creative Commons. If a university uses my content (which I know at
> least some universities do) but makes it available only in an internal
> repository, hence requiring a student to pay tuition to access it,
> then my CC-licensed content is not freely available.

RORY>> Totally not true. If it is on any open site then it IS available.
Let's rephrase your argument this way:

> But let's take my own content as an example, which is licensed under
> Creative Commons. If a INDIVIDUAL STUDENT uses my content (which I
> know at least some STUDENTS do) but makes it available only in an
> PERSONAL PRINTED VERSION, hence requiring a student to pay tuition to
> access it, then my CC-licensed content is not freely available.
>
> Yes, I know, the student can currently access the content on my
> website (/if/ he or she knows where to look) but I'm not going to live
> forever and we can easily imagine a day when the only extant copies of
> my work are on these websites.

RORY>>> Yes, the only way this argument works is in imaginary scenarios!
(:-)>
BUT I do agree that an institution that uses your work or any CC work
should as a matter of practice make an open version available also. I
shall try to get such a policy implemented at AU to help spread the
number of sites where OER are available. Thx.

> That's one example.
>
> Another example is the (unfortunately) common practice of placing DRM
> on public domain works (ie., CC-0). Here's an example:
> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090730/0257115712.shtml

RORY>> Anyone can take any public domain work and put it online for
free. Anyone can also take the work online and charge for it. A good
example is Google books that charge for the access to a miriad of public
domain works. You are paying for that convenience. Most of the works
would NOT be online if it weren't for Google. Anyone can take the Google
book and copy it and put it online for free. Many libraries are doing
this. The Library of Congress included.
But eh, if nobody will do it for free than I don't mind paying Google if
no free version is available. Their rates for access to these works are
not exorbitant and many of them are free.  Plato's Republic $0.79

Rory McGreal
UNESCO/COL Chair in OER
Athabasca University
rory at athabascau.ca