[Oer-community] What have maps ever done for us?

Gema Santos gemasantosh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 18:13:25 MST 2012

Dear colleagues,

Andy, it was a really good point!

I agree most of you about creating an OER mapping based in connections: if
connecting professionals working in OER is the purpose, then the map is
going to be useful. However, if the users are going to be the community of
educators, practitioners, OER creators, etc we would have to consider other
aspects further than “connections” (as type of content, pedagogical
patterns, etc)

In the first case, “social network mapping” or “connections map”, I
understand the aim would be to help members of our community to share OER
collective intelligence in order to extend it. As it has been mentioned
before, one of the main criteria is mapping the institutions. I’d say to be
careful with this classification, since more than one institution could be
involved in the same initiative (for example, partnership between different
universities, a consortium, etc) and there are other “entities” which are
not  institutions (such as a research group with mixed funding: from
regional and national government , from diverse private institutions, etc).
Finally, as Paul Silva said, there can be “ OER lone rangers”.

I also consider important to define what kind of basic information has to
be collected and showed from each OER initiative. In that sense, we might
think about what information we need to retrieval: what we are interested
to know from OER initiatives. Geographical and timing approaches, as it has
been discussed, are essential but not enough. Apart from data such as url
and contact person, I think we need to know other interesting information
as:

- *subject area or discipline *(to connect all OER initiatives in the same
knowledge field)- of course it has not to be a very specific subject (micro
level), we don´t need a taxonomy but a general classification (macro level).

-*language* (to know about initiatives in our own language but outside our
own geographical area)

-*partnership with other institution/project* (to know about OER
initiatives already connected). If a there is a previous partnership
between two or more initiatives/institutions, can be interesting to know it
in order to ask them about their experience (learned lessons,
recommendations, etc)

-*open licence* used

There are so many “fields” we can consider to describe each
initiative….that we'll have to choose the ones better fit to our mapping
interests. We can start with some classifications and add more later....

Good night!

Gema Santos-Hermosa

*Phd researcher*

OER and Educational repositories**

*Digital librarian*

Teaching&Learning Support - Information Resources Management

OA&OCW
UOC Virtual Library
*Open University of Catalonia*
http://www.uoc.edu/portal/english/