[Oer-community] On-line education is using a flawed Creative Commons license

Jenny Louw jennyl at saide.org.za
Wed Nov 28 23:50:49 MST 2012

Hi Everyone

@ Seth

The South African Institute for Distance Education has an education series that was previously published by Oxford University Press. In around 2005 OUP decided to stop publishing six of the titles.  We updated the titles with a CC BY licence. Many of the universities were still prescribing the texts and wanted print copies. In one case the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University was prescribing Creating People-Centred Schools and wanted print copies for their students to be able to purchase through the bookseller Van Schaik.  I arranged a print on demand job for them and negotiated with the bookseller that they would only increase the sale price to the students by 10% to cover their storage and handling fees.  The students were then able to purchase the guides for around R75 which is less than US10. Under the OUP banner the guides had originally sold at R295.00  and that was 10 years ago.

Kind regards

Jenny Louw
Co-ordinator: Information Services
SA Institute for Distance Education