[Oer-community] On-line education is using a flawed Creative Commons license

Stephen E Carson scarson at mit.edu
Wed Nov 28 15:46:34 MST 2012

MIT OpenCourseWare likely has as much experience as anyone in using the NC license, and for all the discussion it generates, it has worked remarkably well for us for ten years now.  It provides for a clear zone of reuse that a great many people take advantage of, a gray area of uncertainty that drives a small volume of quasi-commercial efforts to contact us, and a zone where uses are clearly forbidden.  The volume of inquiries we receive is quite manageable, and it's not at all unusual for us to forward some requests on to the faculty who own then content in question so that they can provide a separate permission for a commercial use of their content.

The NC license has allowed us to involve more than 70% of MIT faculty (most of whom would not have participated without the NC protection); it has supported the creation of more than 1,000 translated versions of our courses, which has vastly increased the audience we reach; and in practice it has been easy to administer.  If you judge it on the above merits, it holds up very well.

Steve Carson

Director of Communications and External Relations
MIT OpenCourseWare
One Broadway, 8th floor
Cambridge, MA 02142
Map: http://tinyurl.com/cbo2kn

P: 617.253.1250 | C: 617.633.4659 | F: 617.253.2115
Twitter/Skype: scarsonmit

Availability: http://doodle.com/stevecarson

Sent from mobile device.