[Oer-community] On-line education is using a flawed Creative Commons license

rory rory at athabascau.ca
Wed Nov 28 14:32:04 MST 2012

Brian,
I thought this was over, but I feel I have to clarify. Water is free. I
used the granny analogy (and was thinking of her creek not her tap)
because I did not want it to be confused with large scale water selling
companies.  How about the air analogy. Air is free and not regulated,
but is also can be sold (compressed or as "Australian eucalyptus air")?
As for the NC and non-profits. Universities are not charging for the
course content but for the course itself. Content is sold or provided
separately. So non-profits are not engaging in a commercial transaction
with the content (as long as they don't charge for the texts more than
it costs to produce them!). I would say that even for-profit
universities could use the NC under that interpretation.
All the best.
Rory

Rory McGreal
UNESCO/COL Chair in OER