[Oer-community] What have maps ever done for us?

Paul Stacey pstacey at creativecommons.org
Wed Nov 28 10:22:13 MST 2012

Andy:

Thanks for this comprehensive description of what an OER map could do.

I particularly want to support your call for an OER map of connections.

This correlates very well with a similar post I made earlier to this forum
suggesting we generate an OER World Map that is more of a social network
rather than a content network. I see a stronger value proposition for an
OER World Map that focuses on connecting what currently are isolated OER
initiatives into collaborative networks. You suggest that a map of
connections could enable organizations to highlight what other
organizations they have worked with and identify networks of activity
around different aspects of OER work to make it easier for connections
between initiatives to form. I think this is totally bang on. Most OER
initiatives are fairly isolated from one another and I think an OER Map
that helps generate connections between initiatives could be incredibly
useful. I particularly am hopeful that we can move to an OER development
approach that makes it a priority to, even before development of OER
begins, find others beyond the local need who have an interest and need for
the OER being developed. An OER World Map of connections could help us
fulfill the promise of reuse by connecting development efforts with those
with a need for the OER once development is complete.

In my earlier suggestion I took this one step further. I believe an OER
World Map focused on generating connections could connect OER *users, *not
just developers, into networks of collaborative effort. I think OER
development today is largely separated from, and not seeking feedback from,
end users. An OER World Map of connections could provide a means for the
intended beneficiaries of OER to express needs/requirements, and give
feedback on their experiences of OER use. Why not provide a means for end
users to have input into defining upfront requirements for OER? It could
pool the requirements and needs OER are intended to fulfill and distribute
the development/reuse effort more effectively across those engaged in OER
development and use.

An OER World Map of connections could begin to form community around OER
development similar to that which supports open source software development.

--
Paul Stacey
Creative Commons
(e) pstacey at creativecommons.org
(w) http://creativecommons.org
(me) http://creativecommons.org/staff#paulstacey
(blog) http://edtechfrontier.com

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Andy.Lane <Andy.Lane at open.ac.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> variable); websites ‘hosting’ or ‘promoting’ OER (could be more of them
> than organisations – The OU has a number of such websites – but they also
> do ‘die’ more often); and OER initiatives/projects (some of these are multi
> organisational but they do show significant OER activity but are also very
> time limited because of funding). The type of data to be collected on each
> of these is quite different. Overall I am tending towards mapping
> organisations as the primary ‘thing’ but with the websites and/or projects
> they are involved as ‘secondary’ things to capture as a kind of ‘linked’
> data so the map can show those different takes if need be. Because of the
> temporal issue I note above I also think we need data on when a ‘thing’
> starts and when it finished (if appropriate) as this will enable us to see
> the changes (hopefully growth) in all three both temporally across the
> globe but also within regions and countries (and so we need data on a
> location for the organisation or all parts of an organisation is it has
> multiple sites).****
>
> ** **
>
> Then there are the connections. The above mapping of things will highlight
> some existing connections (e.g. organisations working on the same project)
> but the fact that organisations are included could enable those
> organisations to also highlight what other organisations they have worked
> with or are working with and why (e.g. research; translating OER). If users
> of the site can both add and amend entries with new information as it
> arises and the purpose of the connection is flagged by an agreed set of
> keywords then such a map would serve the purpose of highlighting networks
> of activity around different aspects of OER work (publishing; science
> teaching, assessment, translating, researching, outreach etc) and so make
> it easier for folk in one organisation to find other organisations with
> folk who may be interested in collaborating and sharing ideas and content
> etc.****
>
> ** **
>
> Overall the map could act as a mediating agent for people to find people
> to share with proactively (not to find OER per se as there are other means
> to do that as others have commented on). Sounds a bit like linkedin for
> organisations but done through a map ... hmm is that idea copyrighted?!***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> Andy****
>
> ** **
>
> A.B.Lane, Professor of Environmental Systems, Programme Director for
> EDIS and Qualification Director for BSc Environmental Management and
> Technology ****
>
> ** **
>

> --
> The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an
> exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC

Paul Stacey
Creative Commons
(e) pstacey at creativecommons.org
(w) http://creativecommons.org