[Oer-community] On-line education is using a flawed Creative Commons license

Seth Woodworth seth at laptop.org
Tue Nov 27 10:35:41 MST 2012

Hello all,

There are a few problems with the non-commercial license as implemented at
Creative Commons when applied to OER, and on the other hand, there are a
few things that neither the -NC nor -SA (share-alike) license solves
completely.

Lets discuss some concrete examples instead of ideals:

Take a CC-by-sa textbook.  One of the stated fears is a commercial venture
taking an open work and using it to increase their competitive advantage,
and charging for their improved version.  This is a legitimate fear.  So
long as a commercial company has a superior marketing advantage, they can
distribute their version of the work farther.  But the share-alike license
solves _part_ of this problem.  If a textbook publisher incorporates -SA
licensed material into a single work, then their product must also be
released under a CC license.

Now, one of the grey areas of open licenses, is what is a collective work
and what is separable in terms of copyright?  The FSF interprets their GFDL
license to apply to collective works; if you post a page worth GFDL
licensed text to a wiki, the rest of the wiki must be in a similarly openly
licensed form.  Creative Commons interprets the collective nature of
copyright differently; if a blog is licensed with a CC licensed, and a post
is published on a commercial blog, the entire blog need not be openly
licensed.  (Aside: Creative Commons folk, does this sound like a
correct interpretation of the CC position to you?)

But a textbook is a clear cut case of a single copyright, if a textbook
incorporates CC-SA material, it too must be openly licensed.  But there are
a number of example where this isn't the case.

A separate problem with non-commercial licenses is that it is unclear what
actions are allowed or not allowed.  Can an CC-by-nc OCW video be sold on
an SD?  What if that SD card is in an Android tablet?  Can I post an OCW
video on my blog if my blog has ads?  What if I sell a service to set up
universities with private instances of the Khan Academy software and
content for their private use?  The non-commercial license _might_ restrict
my ability to sell that service of providing the Khan Academy videos (which
are licensed the same as OCW).  An OCW video can not be embedded in a
Wikipedia article because of their license choice.

Overall, I think that there is a lot of misinformation and fear about what
the non-commercial clause means.  And I think that there are
more legitimate uses of OER that are chilled by the use of the -NC license
than there are illegitimate uses that are stopped.

--Seth