[Oer-community] On-line education is using a flawed Creative Commons license

Stephen Downes stephen at downes.ca
Tue Nov 27 06:35:26 MST 2012

Hiya all,

To follow up on some points made by Rory:

Content (under whatever license) is 'enclosed' when it is contained
behind a barrier such as proprietary encryption, a digital lock or a
paywall. Enclosure does not restrict the content itself, but restricts
access to the content; access is granted (typically under some other
name) only via some concession, such as payment, or provision of
personal information.

To my understanding, all of Flat World's content will now be enclosed
behind a paywall. OERu assessments enclose assessment content. This
mailing list (OER-community) encloses content behind a subscription
requirement (I can't even link to discussions in my newsletter; all
non-subscribers see is a barrier).

Enclosure is an important concept because it leads to 'conversion'. The
process of conversion is one where what was once a resource that could
be freely accessed is (for all practical purposes) accessible only
through a barrier of some sort; in other words, the content is free, but
has been effectively completely enclosed. This is what happened (for
example) to many UseNet newsgroups. It almost happened to Wikipedia, and
would have happened, has Google not intervened.

Having said that, let me be clear how /perspective/ plays a significant
role in the free / not-free debate:

- from the perspective of someone who /already has the content, /the
content is 'not free' if there are limitations on the/use/ of that
content, including the right to sell it

- from the perspective of someone who /does not already have the
content/, the content is 'not free' if there are barriers preventing the
person from /accessing/ the content (note that the putative assertion
that the content 'could be made free somewhere' does not constitute a
removal of the all-too-practical barrier

It is not to me surprising that the people with wealth - namely those in
U.S. universities - could view 'free' from the perspective of those who
have the content. But I speak from the perspective of one who does not
have access to the content. And my argument, in a nutshell, is that the
second perspective is just as valid as the first (even though the second
perspective cannot afford lobbiests).

Content behind barriers - for example, content that is being sold - is
'not free'. This perspective matters. For 99 percent of the world, it's
the only perspective that matters.

-- Stephen