[Oer-community] A good example of the value of visualising global data

Nelson Piedra (UTPL) nopiedra at utpl.edu.ec
Fri Nov 23 02:51:59 MST 2012

Dear Wayne, I agree with you. Open data + Linked Data Technologies would
allow us to link together disparate information from heterogeneous
repositories (interoperability), unrelated disciplines, facilitate OER
discovery, enable resource reuse/re-mix/adaptation, run powerful and
complex queries, and get precise answers to complex, data-driven questions.

The key idea is data on machine-readability format (using *Semantic
web* technologies
and open licenses). Machine readability means we have to think about the
level of interoperability in any given chunk of data. How “connectable” is
it to other data? should be the first question we ask of new data, because
the level of effort required to make data connectable post-hoc is
significant – frequently unbearable.

Build a metadata common vocabulary of concepts is an important step towards
the integration of distributed and heterogeneous data sources. The use of
metadata may be major to support discovery, interoperability and
visualization of data published from OER initiatives (e.g. via maps, search
engines, mobiles technologies, etc.)

best regards,

Nelson Piedra

Serendipity Project http://serendipity.utpl.edu.ec