[Oer-community] Global List of OER Initiatives

Wayne Mackintosh mackintosh.wayne at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 21:54:51 MST 2012

Hi Abel,

Thanks for the update - the directory function is going to add value
considerable value to the WSIS OER community.

Susan asked earlier who should host a global mapping initiative.

Frankly, I can't think of an agency better placed than UNESCO to host a
project like this:

   - The WSIS platform is open source
   - You've identified a pathway to visualise data using the OpenStreetMap
   project
   - UNESCO is custodian of the 2012 Paris OER Declaration
   - You're going to migrate to a CC-BY license

Would UNESCO be able to host a global mapping initiative like this? Keeping
fingers crossed for a positive response.

Wayne

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Caine, Abel <a.caine at unesco.org> wrote:

>  To all,
>
>  UNESCO has just developed a new Directory function for the OER Community
> on the WSIS KC Platform.
>
> http://www.wsis-community.org/pg/groups/14358/open-educational-resources-oer/
>
>  We're currently testing it and will then upload our (now dated) list of
> over 400 global OER Initiatives.
>
> http://www.wsis-community.org/pg/file/read/17061/global-list-of-oer-initiatives
>
>  The OER Directory will (of course) be open for anyone to freely upload
> their initiative, and export the data to their own application. The
> Directory would feature strong search capability (by type, name, country,
> language, etc). We were considering linking our database to an
> OpenStreetMap for visualizing the data.
>
>  In the future, we'll have an API that allows another system to easily
> extract the data for display in their own application.
>
>  We are very shortly openly-licensing the entire WSIS KC Platform (CC BY)
> to legally allow user uploading/sharing.
>
>  We would greatly appreciate any volunteers to help us stress-test the
> Directory.
>
> Regards,
> Abel
>
>  Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 21 nov. 2012, at 21:47, "Susan D'Antoni" <susandantoni at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Dear Colleagues,
>
>  If we are to consider the appropriate organization for creating a list
> of all OER Institutional initiatives, Alma's message points to an approach
> that might be appropriate for the OER community at large (not just our
> group).
>
>  She spoke of "crowdsourcing" - using a form on the web page for
> submission of information by individuals..
>
>  If we were to start to create a simple database (that could create a
> list or a visual map) - aiming at a comprehensive list of institutional
> projects for a start, could the information be collected and checked
> locally or regionally, as one message suggested?
>
>  Best,
>
>  Susan
>

>> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 1:36 AM, Alma Swan <a.swan at talk21.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear colleagues,
>>>
>>> Thank you, Susan, for introducing Leslie and myself. We are happy to
>>> tell you a bit about our Open Access Map and how we conceived the project.
>>> The map is at www.openaccessmap.org
>>>
>>> We wanted to create a visual representation of how Open Access is
>>> progressing globally. A geographical map seemed the most appropriate way to
>>> represent OA (though we will be adding a timeline when we get a bit more
>>> funding). Our aim was to crowdsource the venture, so individuals can submit
>>> the details of their own project, journal, repository, service, etc. We
>>> have an editorial step, where Leslie or myself approves the submission:
>>> often these need a bit of correction, checking or chasing up, so it is not
>>> labour-free. I’m just saying that in case you envisage doing something
> [...]

Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>
Director, International Centre for Open Education, Otago Polytechnic
Commonwealth of Learning Chair in OER, Otago Polytechnic
Founder and elected Community Council Member,
WikiEducator<http://www.wikieducator.org>
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/Mackiwg> |