[Oer-community] Global Open Access Map - lessons for OER?

Susan D'Antoni susandantoni at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 19:23:07 MST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

One of the issues we need to consider is whether an OER map could be
developed collaboratively and what might be an appropriate organization.
Seth has just noted that building a comprehensive list of OER  initiatives
might be rather ambitious.

During the time I spent with the super people at the UK Open University, we
reviewedt a range of examples of maps and then Teresa Connolly used the
Open CourseWare Consortium data to create the sample OER map for this
discussion.  One of the maps we looked at was the Global Open Access Map.
There is a similarity to some of the things we have discussed
http://www.openaccessmap.org/about/ .  There might be some lessons for us.

The creators of the map, Alma Swan and Leslie Chan, have agreed to share
their experience with us and give us some information about how they have
organized the project.

Alma Swan is a consultant working in the field of scholarly communication.
She is a director of Key Perspectives Ltd <http://www.keyperspectives.co.uk/>
 and Director of European Advocacy Programmes for SPARC<
http://www.arl.org/sparc>  and Convenor for Enabling Open Scholarship<
http://www.openscholarship.org/> , the organisation of universities
promoting the principles of open scholarship in the academic community.

Leslie Chan is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Social Sciences at the
University of Toronto Scarborough, where he serves as the Program
Supervisor for the International Development Studies program.

Alma and Leslie co-founded the Open Access Scholarly Information Sourcebook
(OASIS) <http://www.openoasis.org/>  and the Global Open Access Map <
http://www.openaccessmap.org/> .

Best,

Susan