[Oer-community] OER in ODT

Duda Nogueira dudanogueira at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 17:10:43 MST 2012

Hi Lesley!

You have to install Libre Office in order to be able to open ODF files.

unfortunately Microsoft doesn't endorse open.standarts as this is not a
good practice for their business model.

This is one more reason for the OER community be built on open source and
embrace it as it's core philosofy.

You can't talk about Open Educational Resource without talking about open
source. Just can't.

you can't say an OER object is Open if it's built with Adobe Flash, for
example. Even if you have the copyright and the sources. If the technology
used to read/execute the OER object isn't open, the object can be at least
a free educational resource (as in free beer) but not open, or free as in
freedom.

thanks :)