[Oer-community] OER mapping: from threads to design to fabric

Fred Mednick fred at twb.org
Thu Nov 15 14:05:52 MST 2012

Apologies for not having joined this fabulous and robust conversation about
OER mapping sooner.  As I read the discussion threads, I began to make
lists - which comments viewed* the OER map concept* as a *noun* and which
as a *verb*.  Seems to me that the discussion started as the former and
ended as the latter.  I found myself writing down every link I could find).

I always imagined a suction cup theory of education and development.
Someone asks for something and s/he can place a suction cup on a map and
pull out local resources in one's own backyard.  These days, all such
resources reach globally, and so we have the best of all possible worlds:
OER face to face (local) and OER support (global).

I would like to help sort through the issues presented so that the map can
work its magic and evolve over time — as noun and/or verb— and put in
motion something that can allow for a period of gathering the wool and
vetting design, then weaving it together.  I believe that, together, we can
work out the benefits and liabilities, challenges and opportunities,
languages and impacts so that this "thread" doesn't unravel.

Thanks,
-Fred

____________________

Fred Mednick, Ed.D

*Founder* - Teachers Without Borders <http://twb.org/> |
*TWB.org*<http://twb.org/>

*2012-2013 Visiting Fellow:*  Johns Hopkins School of
Education<http://education.hopkins.edu/>

e. fred at twb.org <fred at teacherswithoutborders.org>   |  fred.mednick at jhu.edu| m:
206-356-4731  |  Skype: twbfred
TWB Twitter <http://twitter.com/teachersnetwork> |  TWB