[Oer-community] Comments on a comment

Hakikur Rahman email at hakik.org
Thu Nov 15 06:00:02 MST 2012

Agreed on both of your points, such as Helens one
on the research question, and the one by
Balasubramanian on educating the learners.

Distance learning, online learning, lifelong
learning, or any other metaphors (in relation to
learning technologies that are required to fill
the gap of distance between the learner and the
educator) are no more in the experimental stage.
However, there are cases that should perform
better even after years of efforts. Perhaps, this
is due to the lack of knowledge from the Master
(educator, or even the policy initiator), not the
technology. Technology is a means that even
required in a F2F learning situation. With the
available technology, distance is not a problem
any more. One can learn when they want, where
they want and how they want. In such case to
initiate a new dialogue along this route, mapping
is essential, as a kick start in case of any
project or initiative. The day is coming when
learners will dominate the learning sequences,
whether they will attend physically or remotely in a learning session.

But, as observed from previous postings, the
mapping need to be structured and integrated
(considering region, socio-economy, culture,
policy, and other localized factors such as
awareness, funding, or even transparency in
performing the task monitoring or even financial
aspects). There could be mis-information or
mis-interpretation, and need to be checked and
rechecked before generalizing the case.

Seems the communications are getting on its way
leading to a successful outcome.

Thanking you,
Hakik

Hakikur Rahman
Post Doc Researcher, University of Minho, Portugal.
(former Director, Computer Division, Bangladesh Open University.)